Chapter

Source

Response, Analysis, and Evaluation

2

“I want you to meet my girl” (Fitzgerald, 24).

Response: Tom says this is casually, as if it isn’t even a big deal. He is cheating on his wife and he wants his new friend Nick to meet the girl he is cheating with.

Analysis: This quote shows that Tom trusts Nick. He trusts Nick such that he is allowing him to meet “his girl”.

Evaluation: This makes the audience wonder if Tom’s wife knows about his other girl because of hoe nonchalant he was about the situation towards Nick. (78)

2

“I like your dress,” remarked Mrs. McKee, “I think it’s adorable.” Mrs. Wilson rejected the compliment by raising her eyebrow in disdain. “It’s just a crazy old thing,” she said. “I just slip it on sometimes when I don’t care what I look like” (Fitzgerald, 31).

Response: This quote makes Mrs. Wilson seem like she is completely full of herself. It seems as if she knows she is beautiful, but doesn’t want to show that she knows it, so she disregards the compliments she gets so seem modest.

Analysis: Mrs. Wilson is a snooty lady. Mrs. McKee was simply admiring her dress and Mrs. Wilson, instead of saying thank you, throws a look at Mrs. Wilson and responds with attitude.

Evaluation: This quote shows the audience the personality of Mrs. Wilson. She is a good looking woman who dresses nicely, but can’t take a compliment.  (96)

2

“I told that boy about the ice.” Myrtle raised her eyebrows in despair at the shiftlessness of the lower orders. “These people! You have to keep after them all the time” (Fitzgerald, 32).

Response: Myrtle is quite rude and demanding. Sure she told him to bring ice, but he forgot. Give him a break. Gosh!

Analysis: She knows that she can get what she wants with her money and her good looks.

Evaluation: It seems as if she is trying to be funny and show that she has power over people by saying “You have to keep after them all the time.” (75)

2

“[…] I was down there at a party about a month ago. At a man named Gatsby’s. Do you know him?” “I live next door to him.” “Well, they say he’s a nephew or a cousin of Kaiser Wilhelm’s. That’s where all his money comes from.” […] “I’m scared of him. I’d hate to have him get anything on me” (Fitzgerald, 32).

Response: This is the first the audience hears of Gatsby. Who is this man? Why is he so mysterious? Why would she not want to “have him get anything on” her?

Analysis: Catherine seems to know Gatsby better than Nick does.

Evaluation: Gatsby seems very mysterious. The audience has not yet met him officially, so little is known about Gatsby. (57)

3

“There was music from my neighbor’s house through the summer nights. […]On weekends his Rolls-Royce became an omnibus, bearing parties to and from the city. […]And on Mondays eight servants, including an extra gardener, toiled all day with mops and scrubbing-brushes and hammers and garden-shears repairing the ravages of the night before” (Fitzgerald, 35).

Response: Mr. Gatsby is one rich guy! How can he afford to party all summer and have others clean up after the parties? Who is he? What does he do to get all of his money?

Analysis: it seems as if Gatsby has a very elegant, lavish lifestyle since he is able to throw so many elaborate parties throughout the summer.

Evaluation: This is the first glimpse into Gatsby’s life that the audience gets. It is important because it shows just how fortunate he is. (82)

3

“I had been actually invited. A chauffeur in a uniform of robin’s-egg blue crossed my lawn early that Saturday morning with a surprisingly formal note from his employer” (Fitzgerald, 41)

Response: Nick is surprised that he has actually been invited to Gatsby’s party. When he chauffeur comes to Nick’s house, he is surprised.

Analysis: Gatsby is a very formal man who seems very kind-hearted and not full of himself because of all of the money he has.

Evaluation: Since Nick seems so surprised to be invited to Gatsby’s party, it makes the audience feel as if Gatsby is in a “higher class” than Nick. (71)

3

“When I was here last I tore my gown on a chair, and he asked me my name and address-inside of a week I got a package from Croirier’s with a new evening gown in it” (Fitzgerald, 43).

Response: When Lucille was at one of Gatsby’s parties, she tore her dress and he was kind enough to send her a new one. He probably felt like it was his fault because it happened at his party on his property. How kind is that?

Analysis: Gatsby is a gentleman. He cares about woman and has the money to buy them new gowns.

Evaluation: This shows how kind and generous Gatsby is. Why is he like this?  (74)

3

“Every one suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known” (Fitzgerald, 59).

Response: Nick sees himself as one of the few people that actually tell the truth. Why is this? Have people lied to him in the past making him not trust anyone?

Analysis: He doesn’t trust many people, but himself.

Evaluation: Nick is afraid of people. He is unsure who to trust with his words and who to ignore. (55)

4

“At nine o’clock, one morning late in July, Gatsby’s gorgeous car lurched up the rocky drive to my door and gave out a burst of melody from its three-noted horn. It was the first time he had called on me, though I had gone to two of his parties […]” (Fitzgerald, 63).

Response: Nick is surprised to see Gatsby again. Why is Gatsby liked by so many people? Is it simply because of his money? His charm? His kindness?

Analysis: It seems like he feels like knowing Gatsby, such a dashing, well know man, makes him “cool”. As if knowing Gatsby is something “everyone is doing”.

Evaluation: Gatsby likes to flaunt his money, but isn’t a jerk about it. (64)

4

“I am the son of some wealthy people in the Middle West-all dead now. I was brought up in America but educated at Oxford, because all my ancestors have been educated there for many years. It is a family tradition” (Fitzgerald, 65).

Response: Gatsby is a smart man who lives a life with no family. This must be why he has parties and surrounds himself with many people; he is lonely.

Analysis: Gatsby is very blunt about his past. He gives enough information to get the point across, but leaves the listener wondering more.

Evaluation: The audience now knows Gatsby’s past, in a nut shell. The audience knows where he came from and why he is so rich. (73)

4

“Why didn’t he ask you to arrange a meeting?” “He wants her to see his house,” she explained. “And your house is right next door” (Fitzgerald, 79).

Response: Does Gatsby like Daisy? He must miss her, but be shy to talk to her, or is afraid she doesn’t remember him because he is asking Nick to set up their meeting for him.

Analysis: Gatsby wants to see Daisy, but is too nervous to simply call upon her to come to his house so he is asking that Nick invite her to his house and invite Gatsby over, too.

Evaluation: This is strange because with his money and charm, one would think Gatsby wouldn’t be afraid to see Daisy. (88)

4

“[…] I had no girl whose disembodied face floated along the dark cornices and blinding signs, and so I drew up the girl beside me, tightening my arms. Her wan, scornful mouth smiled, and so I drew her up again closer, this time to my face” (Fitzgerald, 80).

Response: Nick’s got a crush on Jordan. He seems the value in her and treats her nice. I think they would be a great couple!

Analysis: His mannerisms (tightening his arms around her) make it seem like he loves her and cares for her.

Evaluation: This shows that Nick, like Gatsby, respects woman, and knows his limits.  (54)

5

““Are you in love with me,” she said low in my ear, “or why did I have to come alone?” “That’s the secret of Castle Rackrent. Tell you chauffer to go far away and spend an hour.” “Come back in an hour, Ferdie”” (Fitzgerald, 85).

Response: Daisy has no idea why she has been invited to Nick’s house. She seems quite confused and is mistaken because she thinks Nick is in love with her, when in fact it’s Gatsby that is in love with her, but she doesn’t know that yet.

Analysis: Daisy simply comes to Nick’s house, not knowing what to expect.

Evaluation: This shows just how go-with-the-flow Daisy is. Even thought she is married, she acts like she isn’t because she goes to other men’s houses thinking that they are in love with her. (88)

5

““My house looks well, doesn’t it?” he demanded. “See how the whole front of it catches the light”” (Fitzgerald, 89).

Response: Instead of saying “Doesn’t my house look beautiful? I mean, look at it! It just glitters in this light. It’s gorgeous,” Gatsby says “My house looks well, doesn’t it?” He isn’t flaunting his things, to get compliments, necessarily.

Analysis: Gatsby knows he had money, a nice house, and nice cars and he shows it off, but he doesn’t talk about his things, or himself, like a jerk.

Evaluation: This shows that Gatsby is a man with money and he knows it, but he doesn’t rub it in people’s faces. He shows it to them, but doesn’t shove it down their throats as if to say, “LOOK AT MY MONEY! LOOK AT IT!” (110)

5

““If it wasn’t for the mist, we could see your home across the bay,” said Gatsby. “You always have a green light that burns all night at the end of your dock””. (Fitzgerald, 92).

Response: So that is what Gatsby was looking at in the end of the first chapter! He was longing to see Daisy!

Analysis: The green light signifies Daisy. At the end of chapter one, when Nick sees Gatsby staring out into the world at a green light, with his arms stretched out towards the green light, it is because Gatsby is longing to see Daisy.

Evaluation: Gatsby is truly in love with Daisy. He stares out at the green light that shows where she lives. It is almost as if the light is Daisy, and by it shining, he knows that is Daisy. (100)

5

“As I watched him he adjusted himself a little, visibly. His hand took hold of hers, and as she said something low in his ear he turned toward her with a rush of emotion” (Fitzgerald, 96).

Response: If Tom’s going to cheat, Daisy will, too. She is such a flirt! She and Gatsby are totally in love, and if you don’t see that, you are probably reading the wrong book.

Analysis: The way that Gatsby and Daisy talk to each other and then avoid each other when Nick comes on the room shows that there is something more than friendship going on between them.

Evaluation: Where is this relationship going to go? Since Tom is cheating, will Daisy find out about it, but not really care because she is in love with Gatsby? (94)

6

“James Gatz-that was really, or at least legally, his name. […] His parents were shiftless and unsuccessful farm people-his imagination had never really accepted them as his parents at all. […]And it was from Cody that he inherited money-a legacy of twenty-five thousand dollars” (Fitzgerald, 98-100).

Response: Finally, so more information about Gatsby and his life are told! He changed his name, wasn’t very close to him poor parents, and got all of his money from working for Dan Cody.

Analysis: Gatsby always wanted more than what he had. He went to college but dropped out because he was seen as the janitor boy who worked for his education. He wanted to be like the other students who had everything handed to them by their parents.

Evaluation: Gatsby is happy now, because he has everything he has ever wanted. He isn’t a jerk about it because he worked for what he wanted, so he appreciates his fortunate lifestyle. (109)

6

““I know your wife,” continued Gatsby, almost aggressively.

“That so?”” (Fitzgerald, 102)

Response: Is he trying to make Tom regret cheating on Daisy, or make him look after to his wife better? What is Gatsby trying to do? Is Tom really mad?

Analysis: By saying this aggressively, it is almost as if Gatsby is showing off by saying that he knows Daisy.

Evaluation: Tom now knows that Gatsby and Daisy know each other, which means they have seen each other before and have possibly spent time together. Will Tom find out about their past? (79)

6

““These things excite me so,” she whispered. “If you want to kiss me any time during the evening, Nick, just let me know and I’ll be glad to arrange it for you. […]” (Fitzgerald, 104).

Response: Daisy is, how do I put it in nice words, a slut. She flirts with Gatsby and flirts with Nick, yet she is married!

Analysis: Daisy is a confusing person. What is her deal? Does she love Tom? Does she love Gatsby? Does she love Nick?

Evaluation: Daisy is desperate for some action. Tom must be saving all the fun for when he is with Myrtle and not for Daisy. (68)

6

““Who is this Gatsby anyhow?” demanded Tom suddenly. “Some big bootlegger?”

“Where’d you hear that?” I inquired.

“I didn’t hear it. I imagined it. A lot of these newly rich people are just big bootleggers, you know.”

“Not Gatsby,” I said shortly” (Fitzgerald, 107).

Response: Nick is a true friend to Gatsby because, when he is accused of being a bootlegger, Nick “protects Gatsby’s reputation” by saying that he isn’t a bootlegger.

Analysis: Tom is looking for a way to insult Gatsby because he knows now that he knows Daisy and that irks him. But he doesn’t get to because Nick is there to save Gatsby’s rep.

Evaluation: Nick is a kind person, who has Gatsby’s back. He knows who Gatsby is and he knows who people think he is. When people think something wrong about him, he is there to tell them they are wrong. (99)

7

“As he left the room again she got up and went over to Gatsby and pulled his face down, kissing him on the mouth. “You know I love you,” she murmured.

“You forgot there’s a lady present,” said Jordan.

Daisy looked around doubtfully.

“You kiss Nick too.”

“What a low, vulgar girl!”

“I don’t care!” (Fitzgerald, 116).

Response: Daisy is a person who isn’t afraid to do what she wants to do. She doesn’t care that he husband is in the other room; she still kisses Gatsby on the lips in front of Nick and Jordan.

Analysis: Does Daisy know that Tom has another girl? Is that why she is kissing Gatsby? Is she trying to rebel against Tom?

Evaluation: Daisy is fearless. When she wants something, she goes and gets it. She trusts her friends Nick and Jordan very much and knows they will not tell Tom about her kissing Gatsby. (92)

7

“Daisy sat back upon the couch. The nurse took a step forward and held out her hand.

“Come, Pammy.”

‘Good-by, sweetheart!”

With a reluctant backward glance the well-disciplined child held her nurse’s hand and was pulled out the door […]” (117).

Response: This is one of few times that the child of Tom and Daisy is in the book. It seems as if she is more loved by the nurse than she is by Tom and Daisy.

Analysis: Tom and Daisy’s child is the only thing that holds them together. They love each other, but not enough to keep their relationship strong. Daisy is more in love with Gatsby, but is kept in the relationship with Tom because of the daughter they have.

Evaluation: This shows how little Daisy cares about her daughter. She could have kept her in the room with her and her friends for a while, but she just sends her off with the nanny. (114)

7

““[…] Just tell him the truth-that you never loved him-and it’s all wiped out forever.”

“I never loved him […] Oh, you want too much!” She cried to Gatsby. “I love you now-isn’t that enough? I can’t help what’s past” […] “I did love him once-but I loved you too”” (Fitzgerald, 132).

Response: All hell breaks loose the day that Gatsby, Nick, Jordan, Tom, and Daisy go out together. Tom and Daisy are arguing the entire time and Gatsby finally convinces daisy to tell Tom the truth. They have both been cheating on each other.

Analysis: Gatsby really loves Daisy and wants to have what they had in the past. He wants Daisy to tell Tom that she doesn’t love him so that he can have her all to himself.

Evaluation: This shows how much Gatsby really loves Daisy and wants to make her his. She doesn’t want her to be connected to Tom anymore. He wants her to be ALL his. (107)

7

““Did you see any trouble on the road?” […]

“Yes.”

He hesitated.

“Was she killed?”

“Yes.”

“[…] How did it happen?”

“Well, I tried to swing the wheel-”

He broke off, and suddenly I guessed at the truth. “Was Daisy driving?”

“Yes,” he said after a moment, “but of course I’ll say I was”” (Fitzgerald, 143).

Response: Gatsby killed Mrs. Wilson?!?! Oh, my, gosh! This is crazy! Was it part of a plan schemed by Daisy to kill Myrtle, or was it an honest mistake?

Analysis: So much tension is in this chapter and the fact the Myrtle is now dead is simply the icing on the cake. Tom and Daisy have a tense relationship, and not that Tom’s “other girl” is dead, will there be more tension?

Evaluation: Now that Myrtle is dead, Tom no longer has his “other girl” to cheat on Daisy with. Will this change their relationship? (92)

8

““I can’t describe to you how surprised I was to find out I loved her, old Sport. I even hoped for a while that she’s throw me over, but she didn’t because she was in love with me too”” (Fitzgerald, 150).

Response: Gatsby really loves Daisy. A lot. He wasn’t really sure is she felt the same way about him that he felt about her. How cute!

Analysis: It seems like Daisy is in love with Gatsby because of his charm and his personality, but she is in love with Tom because of his fortune and “fame”.

Evaluation: The relationship between Daisy and Gatsby has been very rocky throughout the years, and seems to be even rockier today. (74)

8

“About three o’clock the quality of Wilson’s incoherent muttering changed-he grew quieter and began to talk about the yellow car” (Fitzgerald, 156).

Response: Wilson is completely devastated. He is lost. His head is spinning with all of the events that have happened. His wife was killed and now he wants revenge.

Analysis: Wilson is determined to find who killed his wife and do the same to them as they did to him.

Evaluation: This shows just how crazed Wilson is with the death of his wife. He was going to move her out of the city with him. (73)

8

“By half-past two he was in West Egg, where he asked some one the way to Gatsby’s house. So by that time he knew Gatsby’s name” (Fitzgerald, 160).

Response: Is Gatsby going to get beat up, or even worse, killed, by Wilson? What is Wilson going to do to him? He seems too mad to simply talk to Gatsby.

Analysis: Wilson has gone out for revenge and believes that Gatsby is the person who killed his wife. He has found where he lives…what will he do to him?

Evaluation: Wilson is out for blood. His wife was killed and he is extremely angry.  (72)

8

“It was after we started with Gatsby toward the house that the gardener saw Wilson’s body  a little way off in the grass and the holocaust was complete” (Fitzgerald, 162).

Response: Gatsby killed Wilson?!?!?! WHAT???? Did Gatsby really kill him? Was there a fight?

Analysis: This is very intense. The audience isn’t given a visual of Wilson’s body or how he was killed. It is simply said. The audience is left in the fog about Wilson’s death.

Evaluation: Very little information is given in this chapter about the death/murder of Wilson.  (58)

9

““Hello!” I interrupted breathlessly. “Look here-this isn’t Mr. Gatsby. Mr. Gatsby is dead”” (Fitzgerald, 166).

Response: Gatsby is dead?! Who killed him? How was he killed? Or did he kill himself? Was it Mr. Wilson?

Analysis: Nick is talking on the phone with someone that thinks he, Nick, is Gatsby. This is when the audience finds out that Gatsby is dead.

Evaluation: It is sad to see that Gatsby is dead, but it seems as if it was a good time to go. Since Myrtle was just killed, Tom will have no one to turn to but Daisy. Daisy will need to be there for Tom and without Gatsby she can do that. (95)

9

“It was Gatsby’s father, a solemn old man, very helpless and dismayed, bundled up in a long cheap ulster against the warm September day” (Fitzgerald, 167).

Response: Gatsby does have some family! It is comforting to see that his father has come so far to see his son and be there for his funeral.

Analysis: Gatsby’s father has heard the news of the death of his son and he travels to the East Coast to pay his respects.

Evaluation: It is important to know that Gatsby does have a family. He never really spoke of them which makes me wonder why. (72)

9

“What’s the matter, Nick? Do you object to shaking hands with me?”

“Yes. You know what I think of you.”

“You’re crazy, Nick,” he said quickly” (Fitzgerald, 178).

Response: Good job Nick! Tom is a jerk! Don’t shake his hand! He is not a good person to befriend.

Analysis: It seems as if Gatsby was the one who kept everyone (Daisy, Tom, Jordan, and Nick) friends. Now that Gatsby is gone and other deaths have occurred, Nick realizes who Tom is and disregards his friendship.

Evaluation: This is important because the relationship between Nick and Tom needed to be summed up, and this was the perfect way to do so. (79)

9

“Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. […] So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past” (Fitzgerald, 180).

Response: What a way to end a good book, with a beautiful set of sentences. The green light has been brought up throughout the book. It was a symbol of the relationship between Gatsby and Daisy. Gatsby is no longer alive, but the green light still shines.

Analysis: And so we all beat on like boats against a current. That is life. Struggling and struggling to reach the end. We always look to the past and analyze our mistakes instead of welcoming the future and planning the next step.

Evaluation: Gatsby looked to the green light as if it proved that he would one day see Daisy. Time will pass by and things will happen limiting those from others, but when it comes down to it, we are all boats in the water, going against the current. (134)